Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mot, Hai, Ba, Vo!!! Huh? In the morning?

This morning the power cut in our house. It was around 9:30am and I went to the washroom and turned on the light, and with a second thought, I went back into my room to grab the tablet (yea yea... you can guess what number I needed to do in the bathroom), and made my way back to the washroom. But the lights had just gone out. Great, I thought to myself. Another blackout. Thankfully, the tablet also functioned as a source of light, which helped me accomplish the final phase of my deed.

I went back to bed. The electricity came back on. Only moments later, I heard the ubiquitous Vietnamese drinking phrase "Mot, hai, ba... Vo!!!" (pronounced "Yo") outside my window, and right away I was flabbergasted. What? My neighbours are already drinking?!? At this time in the morning??? They repeated the phrase several times. They are one heck of party people, I thought to myself. The phrase translates to "One, two, three... In!!!", which is the equivalent of "Cheers!" when you go drinking with friends.

Later on when I went downstairs for breakfast, I looked outside my front door and put all the pieces of the puzzle together. The electrical post just a few feet from my front gate had fallen down, causing the local power outage, and electrical workers were manually raising the heavy concrete post with long rods, and counting together to get the post back into its hole. One, two, three, in!!!


Here are pictures after they managed to get the post back into its spot.

 
 
The post, all fixed up...


8 comments: